August 25, 2010

Kurt

Kurt works at a grocery store near Black Diamond. He wears glasses, always smiles, and puts purchased items in "paper or plastic" bags. Since I'm a fat kid at heart, I eat a lot. And, I usually hit the Dan's a few times a week around midday to get some supplies for lunch. Needless to say, I see Kurt on a fairly regular basis and we always have the exact same conversation...

Kurt: Are you in the Army?

Me: Nope, I'm not.

Kurt: (with a puzzled look) But you have a shaved head and a camouflage (bike) bag...

Me: (with a smile) That's just how I cut my hair and camo is my favorite color. (which is sort of a lie)

Kurt: Oh. Are you a hunter...?

Me: (with a bigger smile) I'm not. Are you?

Then Kurt tells me how he went hunting with his uncle once and how they shot a deer. He tells the story just right, every time, like your Grandpa would.

I've probably talked to Kurt at least 50 times in the last 6 to 7 years, and I still always enjoy listening him tell his hunting story. And even though he will never remember who I am, I'm looking forward to the next time we cross paths and to meeting him again, for the very first time.

2 comments:

Mike's mom said...

Mike,
That is a great story!! I am so greatful that we meet people like Kurt who are blessings in this world. You are an amazing person!! Please tell Kurt "Hi" the next time your paths cross.... We love you!!
Happy 29th Birthday on Sunday!!
Love,
Mom and Dad

mdpart2 said...

Thanks Mom!